14 March 2006

25 pounds

I weighed myself this morning, and I have lost 25 pounds so far. And as Jonathan would say, that's 100 sticks of butter! I still have a good 30 pounds to go, so I'm (sigh) not even halfway there yet, but it's only been 3 weeks (today!) so I think that's pretty good...

He and I are both dieting, since he claims he gained baby-weight, too. I don't see it--I think he looks wonderful--but I guess it's more important that he thinks he look wonderful, so I am being as supportive as I can. We are on very opposite diets. He is on the Atkins diet, which worked really well for him in the past. My friend, Velvet, said one time that Atkins is a "man's diet" and I think she's right. I tried it a few years ago, and I guess it was working, but it is just not possible for me to survive on meat and eggs! So I am doing the coffee-and-Lean Cuisine diet which worked so well for me after Blue was born. I know it's not the healthiest diet, but I think it's the perfect diet for a new mom (as long as she isn't breast-feeding!) because the coffee keeps me awake and suppresses my appetite a bit and the Lean Cuisines... well, they keep me from cooking and doing too many dishes!

Anyway, I've been too busy to even eat, really. Which I've heard other moms say, but I never really believed until now. I didn't get to finish my morning cup of coffee yesterday until about 3 pm. It was my first day without Jonathan but I've gotten a lot of help. His mom spent the night Sunday night so we both got a good 8 hours of sleep. It's funny to think that that is the first time we have both slept together for more than 3 hours at a time in 3 weeks. And she is coming over tonight to spend the night again--which is awesome!

I should be napping right now, since Blue is taking a nap, but the Lion is very restless and I know the moment I fell asleep he would wake up and start crying, so I figure--why try? Especially if Jonathan's mother will be over tonight to baby-sit for me.

"Jonathan's mother!" I sound so ridiculous! Why is it so hard to figure out what to call her?! She told me to call them "Mom" and "Dad" when Jonathan and I became engaged, and I've tried, but... I don't know. I do call Mr. Young "Dad" now, but actually now that I really think about it, I don't think I've ever called him that to his face. It's mostly when I am talking with Jonathan's mother. And I don't call her "Mom" at all. I guess because I don't talk to Jonathan's father as often as I talk to her and if I'm talking to Jonathan I say "your mom" and "your dad" so it hasn't really come up. The few times I've tried to call her "Mom" it just felt weird. "Mom" is my mother.

So then she suggested I call them by their first names. But that seems disrespectful to me. Growing up, my brothers and I never called anyone our parents' age by their first names. I mean, now children do it all the time. My friends' children call me "Miss Erin" and it doesn't bother me, but I can't help wondering if it would be old-fashioned to have Blue and the Lion use my friends' surnames instead. It's just how I was raised. But that's another topic...

So "Susan" and "Shelton" seems too casual, and "Mr. and Mrs. Young" seems way too formal. Maybe I should just give them catchy nicknames like "Starsky" and "Hutch" and call them that instead. Haha. I can just picture me calling Jonathan's dad "Hutch." Man, I should get some sleep...

No comments: