11 September 2006


Well, we are home. And we all survived.

First we drove down to Myrtle Beach to spend a week in a gorgeous cottage with my dad and my step-mother, Judi. My niece, step-brother and step-sisters, etc. etc. were also there. There was like 25 of us. Everyone was there. Basically, if you weren't there, you are a big loser. Anyway, we had such a fantastic time! The ride down was a little long, and the Lion looked a little like a body-builder in his American flag swim trunks (they were the only ones I could find that were small enough!) but the kids behaved beautifully. Well, there was the incident with the poop in the bathtub, but no one knew about that. Until now.

Jonathan and I had such a fantastic time really getting to know my step-sister, Roxanna's husband, Tim. We spent a lot of time playing boardgames with them and drinking Coronas. And the babies just loved hanging out with Granny Judi and Papa Jon--who Blue calls "Poppy Judi" collectively. The resort had a Lazy River, which I could have spent all day in, but we could just manage to lug all of our crap down there, float for a couple laps, and then pack everything back up again to return to the cottage for somebody's nap! I kept reminding Jonathan, "This is the hardest it will ever be. Every vacation after this will get slightly easier every year." I told my Dad this theory and he just nodded and said, "Mmm-hmm," in a suspicious manner, but I choose to cling to this theory of mine. For my own sanity, you understand, so any nay-saying comments will be deleted. You have been warned.

Blue loved the ocean. She just marched out into the water holding Jonathan's hand. I was very proud of her!
After our week in lovely Myrtle Beach, we packed up the van again and drove up to Ocean City to spend a week with Jonathan's parents in their condo. We had another excellent time, but I think Blue was getting a little homesick. She was acting very two. Luckily, Jonathan's mom and dad are practically saints and they didn't strangle her while they were babysitting for Jonathan and me. There was lots of Blue falling down, Blue throwing things, Blue crying. Everything was "No!"

"Are you having fun, Bluebird?"
"I love you, Bluebird."

This picture of the four of us on the boardwalk sums it up:Look at my boy, Lion. What a happy little guy.

That night on the boardwalk with Jonathan's parents was so wonderful. It was like a Hallmark commercial. Like a Christmas Hallmark commercial. There was pizza, and the Lion was an angel in the restaurant, there was a big (stuffed) shark for Blue to look at, a Pirate ship for her to climb on, and the best part--Blue rode on her first rides! I was so proud of her! First we went on the carousel. Blue rode a horse, with Jonathan "spotting" her, and I rode a pig with Lion. (The pig just happened to be the animal nearest to Blue's horse.)

Then Blue and Jonathan went on the tea-cups! And she rode a ride all by herself! I am so super-proud of her, you have no idea, because I do not ride rides, and I have been praying that Blue is more daring than I am. So on the way home from the boardwalk, I asked Blue,

"Did you have fun on the boardwalk?"
"Did you go on rides?"
long pause
"Did you go on rides?"
Then her whole face lit up. "Mommy ride pig!"

I guess it was a memorable sight. I hope the child isn't scarred for life. Nobody should have to see that.


Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you guys made it home safe and sound. You are waaaaay more brave than I ever was, taking two small children out of their comfort zone for two weeks borders on insanity. But, hey, you guys survived. Welcome home!


Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you had such a good time. Sounds a little different than our weekend in April. Maybe some day you will be brave and try a trip to CT! Miss you all so much.
Aunt D