04 March 2008

a few reviews for you

I am taking a break from wandering around feeling miserable, coughing and blowing my nose indiscriminately to actually blog. And not just more fantasy room decorating but an actual post.

First review. I went to see The Other Boleyn Girl Saturday night with Katherine, Barbra, Diana and Sam. I was not sure if I would like the movie at all. I read the book forever ago and really enjoyed it. If you haven't read it, read it. For God's sake.

I am a bit of a fanatic about Henry and his wives so I wasn't sure I would like this movie. I thought the casting of Natalie Portman as the bewitching Anne Boleyn was brilliant. And that Scarlett Johannson was a perfect choice for Mary Boleyn as she is described in the novel. But the previews seemed to hint that the movie was not going to follow the novel very faithfully. That there was an excessive amount of rivalry and jealousy between the sisters that I didn't find in the book.


I am surprised how much I enjoyed this movie. It did veer from the book quite a bit, but the book itself is a fictitious account so the discrepancies didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. All in all, I thought it was a pretty neat interpretation of the story of Henry and Anne. Just like the book is a neat interpretation. They just happen to be different interpretations. And I felt like the parts of the story that veered from historical truth (like the character of Mrs. Boleyn being such a feminist) helped set the scene for the average viewer who may be unfamiliar with the whole story as well as with the general period in history.

The fact that my new favorite actor, who looks spookily exactly like my dear Jonny played George Boleyn made the movie that much better. I think he is an actor to watch, people. I think he is going to be big. B. I. G. Memorize this face, people:


I'm just sayin.'

Second review.
Jonny and I rented this from Netflix and I finally watched it. Only like eight years after it came out. Man, I loved this movie! Awesome. We are renting Ocean's 12 next but I don't see how it could come close to the awesomeness that is Ocean's 11.

Third and final review.


I just read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox for the new bookgroup that Cindy is starting this month. And when I say I just read it, I mean I bought the book today and read it all afternoon while the kids napped. It was amazing. I couldn't put it down. I don't know when I have enjoyed a new author so much. I can't wait to discuss it at book group. If you have not read it yet, read it. And join our new book group and come talk about it with me. Seriously. Good. Book.

1 comment:

Retainer Girl said...

You already bought and read it?! Shizah.

I feel behind. I didn't even get to purchase the new Jodi Picoult that came out today.

Sad face.